Also see the ‘Champagne’ Post.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
This recipe for Mexican shrimp cocktail (coctel de camarones) is fresh shrimp tossed in a homemade sauce with red onion, avocado, cilantro and jalapeno. It’s a light and refreshing appetizer that’s perfect for any party!
Serves 4 – 6
1 1/2 pounds cooked shrimp
1 cup avocado diced
1/3 cup red onion very thinly sliced
1 jalapeno seeds and ribs removed, then finely diced
1/2 cup cilantro leaves chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons orange juice
salt and pepper to taste
For garnish: lime wedges
- Place the shrimp, avocado, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, tomato sauce, ketchup, orange juice, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp and toss to coat evenly. Serve, garnished with lime wedges if desired.
Make ahead directions: Follow the recipe as directed, but omit the avocado. Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Stir in the avocado right before serving.
Baked Jalapeño Popper Phyllo Cups
Easy to make and even easier to eat, these baked jalapeño popper phyllo cups are the ultimate appetizer! Everyone is sure to adore this jazzed up, bite-sized, crowd-pleasing recipe!
45 frozen phyllo shells (3 packages of 15)
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
4 oz. softened cream cheese
1 cup Pepper Jack cheese (see notes)
1 cup sharp cheddar
1/3 cup chopped pickled jalapeños
1/4 tsp garlic powder
red pepper flakes to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining with foil and spritzing with a little olive or oil to prevent sticking. Feel free to use a silicone baking mat or parchment paper instead. All will work.
- Arrange phyllo cups on your baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine Greek yogurt and softened cream cheese in a bowl.
- Add freshly grated cheeses, pickled jalapeños, and garlic powder (optional but delicious!)
- Spoon mixture into cups and bake for approximately 13 minutes or until crispy and melty. Feel free to switch the oven or toaster oven to broil for a minute or so for a golden topping!
Habanero cheddar and Jalapeno cheddar cheeses work great as well as the Pepper Jack cheese – Choose your favorite!
Need a smaller serving? Feel free to halve the recipe or simply make the full amount and freeze the leftovers! Need a make-ahead appetizer? This one has your back! For best results prepare the filling and refrigerate for up to 48 hours in advance. Then simply fill the cups and bake to bubbly perfection!