Playoff Weekend Crock Pot Segment
Charley’s Slow Cooker Mexican Style Meat
1 (4 pound) chuck roast
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 jalapeños peppers, diced
2 poblano peppers, diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 (5 ounce) bottle hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
vegetable or beef stock
1. Trim the roast of any excess fat, and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the beef in the hot skillet, and brown it quickly on all sides.
2. Transfer the roast to a slow cooker and top it with the chopped onion and peppers. Season with chili powder, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, and garlic powder. Add enough stock or water to cover 1/3 of the roast.
3. Cover, and cook on High for 6 hours, checking to make sure there is always at least a small amount of liquid in the bottom of the cooker. Reduce heat to Low, and continue cooking for 2 to 4 hours, or until meat is totally tender and falls apart.
4. Transfer the roast to a bowl and shred it using two forks (reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid, if desired). Serve in tacos, burritos or sandwich rolls.
Spicy Hot Chicken Legs
12 chicken drumsticks
1 (5 ounce) bottle hot red pepper sauce
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups blue cheese salad dressing
1. Place the drumsticks in a slow cooker, and sprinkle evenly with pieces of butter.
2. Pour the hot sauce over the chicken, then season with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
3. Cover, and cook on High for 3 hours, or until tender (internal temperature should be 165 degrees).
4. For crispier chicken, bake in a 400 degrees oven for the final 30 minutes.
5. Serve chicken legs with blue cheese dressing on the side.
For really great wings, do not skip #4, the flavor of the meat, combined with the crispy skin makes a perfect treat!