What A Crock Homemade Soup – Beet Segment December 12, 2015
Beet Salad with Goat Cheese, Green Apple, and Honey
1 bunch red beets, tops removed and scrubbed
1 pound yellow beets, tops removed and scrubbed
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons grape seed or safflower oil
3 tablespoons pure honey (we used wild flower honey)
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lemon juice and zest (reserve the lemon halves)
1 green apple
4 ounces fresh goat cheese, coarsely crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
2 cups sprouts or microgreens, for garnish
1. Place beets in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 25 minutes. Drain beets; when just cool enough to handle, remove skins; cut into halves or wedges, depending on size; and transfer to a bowl.
2. Meanwhile, Whisk together honey, olive oil, and lemon juice and zest; season with salt and pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup dressing; add the remaining dressing to the warm beets; toss to coat.
3. Drop lemon halves in it bowl of cold water. Peel apple, cut into small pieces (you should have about 1 cup), and submerge in lemon water. When ready to serve, drain apple and blot dry. Arrange beets on a serving platter and drizzle with reserved dressing.
4. Top with apple, goat cheese, and sprouts and serve immediately.
Pasta with Beet Greens, Farmers Cheese, and Pistachios
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound linguine
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
2 garlic cloves, minced
Greens from 2 bunches beets (about 1/2 pound), rinsed, tough stems removed, and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup toasted pistachios, chopped
4 ounces farmers cheese
1. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 2 cups pasta water; drain pasta.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add greens and cook, stirring, until tender, 2 minutes. Add pasta and pistachios; toss to combine.
3. Add cheese and toss, adding enough pasta water to create a creamy sauce, 1 minute. Drizzle with oil and serve.