June 13, 2015 segment
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + chilling. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
YIELD: 8 servings
1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup baking cocoa
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup cold unsalted butter
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
¾ cup half-and-half cream
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon coarse sugar
½ pint heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
¾ cup hot fudge ice cream topping
10 fresh strawberries and grated chocolate, optional
Grated chocolate, optional
1. Combine strawberries and ¼ cup sugar; refrigerate if desired. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter and 2/3 cup chips until crumbly. Add half-and-half and stir until just moistened.
2. Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-in. thick. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
3. Bake at 450° for 13 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat whipping cream and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
4. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with about two-thirds of the strawberries, whipped cream and fudge topping. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries, cream and topping. Garnish with chocolate if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 633 calories, 32 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 438 mg sodium, 81 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Strawberry Icebox Pie
PREP: 30 Minutes TOTAL TIME: 50 Minutes
10 graham crackers (2 1/2 by 5 inches) If using graham cracker crumbs use 1 – 1 ¼ cup.
1 cup sugar (divide into 2 T, ¾ cup and 2 T)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup unsweetened cranberry juice
2 quarts strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced (a few whole berries reserved for garnish)
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, blend graham crackers with 2 tablespoons sugar until finely ground; add butter and pulse until crumbs are moistened. Press mixture into the bottom
and up the side of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until crust is lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer to a
wire rack and let cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cranberry juice, 2 cups strawberries,
cornstarch, and salt. Using a potato masher, gently mash strawberries. Bring to a boil; reduce to a
simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until very thick, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool
slightly. Stir in remaining strawberries. Pour into cooled pie crust. Refrigerate until set, at least 4 hours
(or up to 1 day).
3. In a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over cream and
continue to beat until soft peaks return (do not overbeat). Spread whipped cream over pie, leaving a 1
1/2-inch border around edge. Garnish with whole berries.