These are the recipes from Chef John Knorr, What a Crock Homemade Soups, from our 11/08/2014 show. Enjoy
Roasted Beet and Carrot Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
2 pounds red and yellow beets, scrubbed, peeled, and thinly sliced
6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons sherry or tarragon vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
3 small Belgian endives, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch pieces, or 2 heads frisee, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
4 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss beets and carrots with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, tossing halfway through. Let cool 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, tarragon, and 1 1/2 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss endives with half the dressing, then transfer to a serving platter. Toss beets and carrots with remaining dressing and add to platter. Top with goat cheese and pecans before serving.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Makes 3 cups
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 cup half-and-half
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1. In a sauce pan place potatoes and cover with cold water, salt. Bring to a boil, then simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, and return to saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring half-and-half, butter, and brown sugar to a simmer, stirring to combine; remove from heat. Add to drained sweet potatoes, and mash just until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios
4 pounds Brussels sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 small red onions, cut into strips
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
Yield: Makes 8
6 to 10 Seckel pears
2 cups fresh cranberries
4 cups (32 ounces) vodka
1 cup sugar
12 sprigs fresh rosemary plus more for garnish
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) pear nectar
4 cups (32 ounces) sparkling water
1. Put enough pears into a 48-ounce glass jar to fill and add cranberries. Add vodka. Seal jar, and let stand at room temperature 2 weeks (up to 2 months).
2. Heat sugar and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add rosemary; remove from heat. Let stand 30 minutes. Discard rosemary. Let cool completely. Syrup can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 month.
3. Fill 12-ounce glasses halfway with ice. Add 4 tablespoons vodka, 2 tablespoons syrup, and 3 tablespoons pear nectar to each. Top with 1/2 cup sparkling water. Serve garnished with rosemary sprigs.
1. Place Brussels sprouts in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover saucepan and steam 6 -8 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender yet crisp.
2. Melt the butter in a deep skillet, add the onions and 3 tablespoons vinegar; cook until onions brown.
3. Add the Brussels sprouts, sugar and remaining vinegar. Saute over medium heat until the Brussels sprouts are lightly caramelized.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with pistachios