The following are the recipes presented by Chef John Knorr, What A Crock Homemade Soups, on the August 23, 2014 show.
Homemade Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 – 20 Minutes
1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can (4.5 oz.) diced green chiles
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 T mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
½ teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1. If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
3. In a food processor, finely chop pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
4. In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, chili powder, cumin, oregano and chili sauce.
5. Stir the mayo mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into six patties.
6. If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 5 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Curried Sweet Potato Chickpea Burgers
2 small sweet potatoes, baked and peeled
1 can chickpeas (15 oz.), drained and rinsed
3 -4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
salt and pepper, to taste
1. In the bowl of a food processor, add sweet potatoes, chickpeas and garlic. Pulse to combine. (Could also do this in a bowl and mash with your hands) Use hands if a chunkier consistency is desired.
2. Stir in cilantro, curry powder, salt, peppers, and bread crumbs, mixing well to evenly disperse ingredients.
3. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and use a scoop or tablespoon to place in heated pan.
4. Cook patties over medium high heat, until lightly browned. Flip and cook remaining side.
5. Remove from skillet and place on buns.